Aspirin And Tramadol

Can you give aspirin and tramadol together? Nala has done something and can barely walk. It appears to be her left front leg. I gave her an aspirin. One 325mg. Not sure it's doing anything. I want to give her a little time before a vet run. I hate it when they get old and stuff happens!!! :(

The Girls

Personally, if the pain is bad enough for Tramadol, I'd want her seen first. Tramadol lasts for 6-8 hours and if you mask the pain it will make diagnosis more difficult for the vet. Also, he might want to give her something which can't be given with Tramadol and then you'll have to wait for it to clear her system.

I hope it's nothing too serious!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Actually, I would hold off on the aspirin. You can't mix other NSAID 's or steroids with aspirin. You can give tramadol with aspirn but, honestly, I would at least give your vet a ring.

Edited 'cause I really need reading glasses!!

Edited by tbhounds

:o Please beware of aspirin and other Nsaids. Wendy had a near fatal gastric bleed because I gave her an aspirin for a cut pad. She had recently finished a dose of Metacam for another injury and the combination almost killed her.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I know there is a 3 day wait after aspirin. I know I may restrict things by giving her stuff. But I was/am desperate. I'm on limited funds at the moment. I'm hoping it is a tweak from climbing out from under the boat and a little rest will give us improvement. She has not moved though. :(. She is not panting now. So that is better.

The Girls

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I would never give aspirin to my dog unless directed by a vet. It's very hard on their GI system and can interfere with more reliable pain relievers if/when you seek vet assistance.

Poor Nala. Is she doing any better today?

She is doing better today. Not good yet. I will keep an eye on her. If she gets worse or does not do more improving, I will take her in Monday.

The aspirin I gave her is ascription (I think thats the name) it has malox in it. This is what the vet recommended it before.

The Girls

Guest Energy11

I, too, don't really belive in giving aspirin to dogs for pain, BUT, if you do give it, the Ascriptin OR (1) 81 mg low dose aspirin, GIVEN WITH Pepcid AC, does help. I DO give 1/2 81 mg aspirin, AND a Pepcid AC to both Curfew and Goldie, daily, Per Dr. Couto, to prevent strokes, being we have no idea what either had during their respective "episodes."

And, yes, you can give aspirin with Tramadol. I'd keep a close eye on your baby, and if this doesn't improve soon, yep ... the good ole' vet.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

My vet used to recommend the 325mg dose for minor injuries paired with the usual tramadol, she'll probably be fine. Now I have maloxecam for arthritis flareups--if you take her in you might ask your vet about that. It's easier on the stomache than asprin (although also not risk free) and very inexpensive at Walmart/Target.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

She appears to be improving tonight! Keeping my fingers crossed we are on a healing path! She could get up on her own and get around. Lame, but able to gimp around. Yesterday and this morning she couldn't get up on her own. She could not gimp around yesterday.

The Girls