Staghound From Minnesota

Guest Servicedog

Guest Servicedog

Hello to you all! I am Mary, and I live in west central Minnesota. I have an American Staghound, Gwynneth Maeve, who is my service dog. She is 2 1/2 years old, and is Irich Wolfhound, Scottis Deerhound and Greyhound. I got her from a rescue in Pine City, MN when she was almost 3 months old.

I am interested in hearing from other staghound owners/handlers, and other service dog handlers. Gwynnie is very different from any other dog I have had. I also have an 11 year old black Lab and a 9 year old chocolate Lab.

Thank you.

Mary and Gwynnie

Hello to you all! I am Mary, and I live in west central Minnesota. I have an American Staghound, Gwynneth Maeve, who is my service dog. She is 2 1/2 years old, and is Irich Wolfhound, Scottis Deerhound and Greyhound. I got her from a rescue in Pine City, MN when she was almost 3 months old.

I am interested in hearing from other staghound owners/handlers, and other service dog handlers. Gwynnie is very different from any other dog I have had. I also have an 11 year old black Lab and a 9 year old chocolate Lab.

Thank you.

Mary and Gwynnie

Welcome Mary :wave

I am Mom to Tessie the Fuzzzzyyyyy who was originally born in Minnesota. I adopted her almost two years ago from a couple who hand picked her from a breeder in Minnesota, then moved to NY State. Their plan is to retire and move back to Minnesota soon, and Tessie would have been too big for the retirement communities standards, so the began a search for the perfect home for their baby.

Tessie's Mom is Greyhound, and her Dad is Borzoi / Irish Wolfhound mix, and Tessie is also a "very different" dog. I give her former owners a lot of credit for raising her for the first 15 months of her life. She is an 80 lb lap dog, who is not one bit shy about just crawling into anyones lap for attention. While she has a lot of greyhound in her, Tessie is a dogs dog. She is full of energy, a total lovebug, and a wonderful guard dog too. We just love her to pieces!

gallery_7939_2968_7744.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_752.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_8775.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_11993.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_47180.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_93960.jpg

And here she is with Lenny and Wayne

ekkowayneandlennyondeck.jpg

Oh my Claudia. This a beautiful photo.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

Our staghound is Wuzho, aka The Woot. He's very similar in temperament to the greyhounds and most other sighthounds. A lot less of a hunting/chase drive which is ironic because he came off a staghound breeding farm that was breeding for hunting. Just like the racers, I guess they aren't all good at what they're bred for :lol Staghounds typically come from staghound breeding stock...staghound-to-staghound breedings have been going on for a couple hundred years, just no recognized studbook. A longdog would be a cross of multiple sighthounds and, technically, a staghound is a type of longdog.

A sighthound of any type would probably be one of the last breeds I would pick as a service dog....not sure there are many on the forum but I have heard of a few greys over the years. Staghounds and longdogs in general aren't very common outside of rural/hunting areas so I've not heard of one in the US being used as a service dog. Entirely possible though.

Here's our staghound...

4696521414_a8b603136a_o.jpg

2284026891_ce7eab983d_o.jpg

4695888129_7666447444_o.jpg

2607874245_fb4ff8e8bb_o.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

Guest zoolaine

Welcome to GT - can't wait to see pictures! I have a 2 year old greyhound mix - probably with wolfhound. Zali was born in Kansas and I am pretty sure she was supposed to be a coyote hunter

IMG_1203-1.jpg

Guest iconsmum

HOLY SMOKE!! We never see staghounds in Ontario - or greyhound x or mixes hardly ever...what's a staghound like temperamentally? How do you happen to have IW x greyhounds? People who live with them please- I'm dying of curiosity.......

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Welcome!!!! If I remember, I'll have to point Manymanyhounds (Dione) to your post-- she Loves Staghounds, and is responsible for my having my little boy Callan (formerly Slick Callan, because he was the smoothest coated of 5 little brothers from Georgia).

Fab5.jpg

SlickBaby-1.jpg

BoyandToy.jpg

CallanCute.jpg

I have 3 Greyhounds, and although I've lived with an American Pit Bull Terrier, a Collie-Malamute and a Lab Shepherd in the past (all mixed with Greyhounds since 1996), I'm pretty much a Greyhound person at heart. I think the differences you see from your Labs are probably mostly Sighthound differences; Callan has much more in common with my Greyhounds than he would with other types of dog. Someone told me once that Staghounds are very similar to Greyhounds with an extra smile thrown in.

None of my current Greyhounds bark; Callan is my watchdog. Since December of last year (2009) when I adopted my now-4-year old Bravo, he's had someone his own age to play with-- and their play styles are Very similar. They do chase games, they play bow to each other -- none of that rough and tumble wrestling stuff that some other breeds favor. And Callan keeps up with, and sometimes stays ahead of, Bravo who is a Very fast greyhound. But he runs differently, he can stretch out and get a good speed up, but he corners differently -- more of a bounding into the air. He also plays differently by himself, not just running, but leaping into the air and bouncing like a rocking horse-- and tossing toys around the yard for himself. In spite of his 'watchdog' barking, he is not at all aggressive and is easily intimidated by other dogs who are-- so I'm thankful that Bravo is a very grounded boy who doesn't get carried away or get pushy. His brothers, as may be seen in his baby pictures, are a lot fuzzier than he is.

I've had friends who have had Greyhound service dogs, but never met a Staghound service dog. Callan is smaller than Bravo, or Silver (my 11-year old). Did you train her yourself? I'm very interested, I have R.A. (rheumatoid arthritis) and while I'm still doing alright, I can see a time in the future when a service dog would be a godsend.

Again, welcome!!

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Guest Servicedog

Thank you.

Mary and Gwynnie

Welcome Mary :wave

I am Mom to Tessie the Fuzzzzyyyyy who was originally born in Minnesota. I adopted her almost two years ago from a couple who hand picked her from a breeder in Minnesota, then moved to NY State. Their plan is to retire and move back to Minnesota soon, and Tessie would have been too big for the retirement communities standards, so the began a search for the perfect home for their baby.

Tessie's Mom is Greyhound, and her Dad is Borzoi / Irish Wolfhound mix, and Tessie is also a "very different" dog. I give her former owners a lot of credit for raising her for the first 15 months of her life. She is an 80 lb lap dog, who is not one bit shy about just crawling into anyones lap for attention. While she has a lot of greyhound in her, Tessie is a dogs dog. She is full of energy, a total lovebug, and a wonderful guard dog too. We just love her to pieces!

gallery_7939_2968_7744.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_752.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_8775.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_11993.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_47180.jpg

gallery_7939_2968_93960.jpg

Thank you!

I do not know how to post pictures but will try to have one of my children do that.

I LOVE the pictures!!! She looks a lot like Gwynnie, only Gwynnie has face hair like your staghound has on her body. Yours has a beautiful color. Gwynnie is mostly buff and white. She is very reserved.

Thank you for sharing!

Mary and Gwynnie

First, welcome to greytalk! greenwave.gif

Second, thanks for starting a fuzzy hound thread. I love seeing how different-looking they are from each other & yet similar to greyhounds. Please do post pictures of your Gwynnie!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Our staghound is Wuzho, aka The Woot. He's very similar in temperament to the greyhounds and most other sighthounds. A lot less of a hunting/chase drive which is ironic because he came off a staghound breeding farm that was breeding for hunting. Just like the racers, I guess they aren't all good at what they're bred for :lol Staghounds typically come from staghound breeding stock...staghound-to-staghound breedings have been going on for a couple hundred years, just no recognized studbook. A longdog would be a cross of multiple sighthounds and, technically, a staghound is a type of longdog.

A sighthound of any type would probably be one of the last breeds I would pick as a service dog....not sure there are many on the forum but I have heard of a few greys over the years. Staghounds and longdogs in general aren't very common outside of rural/hunting areas so I've not heard of one in the US being used as a service dog. Entirely possible though.

Here's our staghound...

4696521414_a8b603136a_o.jpg

2284026891_ce7eab983d_o.jpg

4695888129_7666447444_o.jpg

2607874245_fb4ff8e8bb_o.jpg

just........Wow!! :wub::wub::wub:

Guest manymanyhounds

What beautiful fuzzy faces! Thanks for sending me here Carla!

This is one of our Staghounds, Jed.

Jedplease.jpg

We also have Annie Staghound who is Jed's daughter but she's camera shy! I have yet to get a really good picture of her

Guest manymanyhounds

I found one of Annie..she's the one in the front who looks annoyed....Dancer, the grey dog in the middle left us 2 years ago and Papa Jed in the back.

3stagsdirthole.jpg

Guest katethegreyt

Oh how fun! I just got my first grey, but I think I'll need one of these too! So handsome.

And I love the name Gwynneth Maeve. I just named our new girl Aoife, another Gaelic name = )