Is This A Corn?

Teddy has been off lately and we have an incident or 2, one of them serious. We ran a complete thyroid panel and CBC, U/A, etc. yesterday. In addition, he has been opting out of walks. He does have some neck/disk issues that we have addressed in the past with acupunture.

When I was examing him, I found this. He has a complete physical scheduled next saturday when our regular vet is back from maternity. We should have some of the labs back by Monday and hopefull the rest when we see the vet on Saturday.

DSC_3715.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks Judy. I kinda thought so, but believe it or not, that's the one medical thingy we haven't addressed yet. I will buy a thera pet boot for him for now. Vet appointment is next week. No wonder he is cranky (ier) than usual.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, I'm sorry Teddy has become a corn-dog. There are many things to try, but you can definitely try to soften the paw pad before the vet appointment. That will make the corn easier to hull. My vet, who is the go-to vet in my area for corn issues (the techs call her "Dr. Corn"), tells me that any moisturizer will help -- the people who use plain old Vaseline get good results, they just use it faithfully. The Therapaws also are a huge help.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Thanks Judy. I kinda thought so, but believe it or not, that's the one medical thingy we haven't addressed yet. I will buy a thera pet boot for him for now. Vet appointment is next week. No wonder he is cranky (ier) than usual.

You're welcome. It's not bad right now. You can cut a small square of duct tape and put it on there. Change it every couple of days and the corn may come out that way. I first heard about the duct tape method of removing corns on a racing website. They swear by it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Duct tape, cream, boots. I'm going to do it all. Comfort is the name of the game!

Thanks, all!

Zeke had a terrible time with corns. We had great results with the cream from Murray Avenue Pharmacy. To soften the corn you could also try Protecta-Pad which is a paw pad and elbow cream for dogs. Good luck with whatever treatment you choose. The corns can be pretty painful.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

My poor Soldi (passed away in April this year)suffered of a corn nearly all her life. I took it out with a dental root elevator every 2 months or so.She was fine for a while but then the dammn corn came back...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Dig this.... pardon the pun... he's got one on both front feet.

Poor Teddy.

Edited by RobinM

Guest azlorenz

Lexi had corns on both front feet. We found the best remedy was duct tape for her. Once it softened up I would be able to dig them out with my finger nail.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yes, that's a corn. Ugh! I HATE CORNS!!!

I hulled them off a recent foster, though, and she made an amazing recovery. I know they may grow back, and so does her new owner. However, she is not lame at all now except for an unrelated ankle issue. Incidentally, I know two of her litter brothers the racing owner kept as pets, and they too have ankle issues, but I don't think they have corns.

i was told NOT to soften up the corn before hulling- it's easier to dig out when hard.

it doesn't look like a clear defination around the corn, compare photos of the BIG corn! the border around the larger corn is easier to follow so it can be hulled. it looks like teddy is walking it down,emily used to do that and it was impossible to hull since she sanded all of the defining edges off walking. i would look into the oinment mentioned, the corns come back w/ hulling.(it's not difficult to hull when they are large)

Guest PhillyPups

Here is an easy way to deal with duct tape for corns - I found this through experience of taping my fingers and hands. :lol

Take the backing from peel off labels such as Avery labels. Put a strip of duct tape across tthe backing. Then just use a single hole punch to punch out a circle. You can just peel the Avery backing off the tape and place the spot of duct tape over the corn. Worked for the Queen who also had corns on both front paws. I changed the duct tape every couple of tays, peeling as much of the corn as I could get out with my fingernail each time.

Guest Swifthounds

Here is an easy way to deal with duct tape for corns - I found this through experience of taping my fingers and hands. :lol

Take the backing from peel off labels such as Avery labels. Put a strip of duct tape across tthe backing. Then just use a single hole punch to punch out a circle. You can just peel the Avery backing off the tape and place the spot of duct tape over the corn. Worked for the Queen who also had corns on both front paws. I changed the duct tape every couple of tays, peeling as much of the corn as I could get out with my fingernail each time.

What a good idea! You can get hole punches in all kinds of sizes, too.