My Foster Has Hook Worms- How Do I Clean My Yard?

Wonder

I only have a second to post and can't do a search- please let me know how I clean my yard since my foster has hook worms.

Thanks!!!!

I won't be able to check back until later.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest shannon252

DECONTAMINATING THE ENVIRONMENT

Many people are concerned about how to decontaminate the backyard or property that has housed an infected dog. The good news is that unlike roundworms which are extremely hardly in the environment, hookworm eggs deplete their energy reserves in a few months and die. Further, hookworm eggs do not survive freezing temperatures.

If one uses bleach to clean an area, the protective coating is removed from the hookworm egg and the egg will become dehydrated and will die. Borates raked into the soil will also kill hookworm eggs but will kill grass and vegetation as well.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hookworms.html

I've wondered the same thing in the past but just opted to treat the hooks in the dog(with Drontal Plus and diatomaceous earth)and to promptly pick up ALL poops. But I did a google search for you and this are a couple of things I found:

If the pets have a run or kennel, it should be cleaned of all feces and treated with a product to control hookworm juveniles if one can be located. Several treatments, including common salt brine (1.5 lb common salt per gallon of water, applied at 1 pt per sq ft) or borax, can be used successfully on bare ground, gravel or concrete. However, there is at present no available product that is known to be both effective for control of infective larvae on/in living turf or other plants and safe for plants.

Treating the Environment: The larvae of hookworms can live several weeks in cool, moist soil, but die rapidly in freezing or hot, dry conditions. Yards and kennels should be cleaned daily. Floors in kennels and dog runs should be impervious, so they are easier to clean. All fecal material should be removed, since organic material will decrease the effectiveness of cleaning solutions. A bleach solution of 3 cups of household bleach to a gallon of cool water should be sprayed or mopped on the area. Any feces in yards should be picked up on a daily basis. Flaming the surface soil can kill the larvae. Gravel runs are best treated with sodium borate applied at the rate of 10 lbs/100 sq. ft. (Sodium borate will kill vegetation.)"

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest PhillyPups

Did you have your foster to the vet?

You may also want to treat all the areas where your foster has been. Is this the one you had at the nursing home, a M&G and the party? If it is, i am sure if he had the BiG D you want to treat that area too.

Another reason why I keep mine very low key until done with the vet. :dunno

Did you have your foster to the vet?

You may also want to treat all the areas where your foster has been. Is this the one you had at the nursing home, a M&G and the party? If it is, i am sure if he had the BiG D you want to treat that area too.

Another reason why I keep mine very low key until done with the vet. :dunno

No- this is not Count

As long as you have picked up the poop within 18 hrs you should be fine.

Here is an article on it.

I clean the yard same day and at least twice a day

Do I need to wash his blankets that are in the crate?

What about poop remnants in the grass? He doesn't have big d but it is slightly soft (new kibble) so harder to clean up. I usually end up pulling up some grass, I mean weeds when I clean the yard :lol

Flaming the surface soil can kill the larvae.

Now this sounds like fun :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

If you're talking about Bee Gee, he was given a worming pill when he was brought in on the haul on the 11th. Worth mentioning that to your vet, if you haven't already.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

As long as you pick up poops and have all dogs on some kind of worm preventative, you should be fine. Hooks are a nightmare to get rid of. Good luck.

How many fosters do you have????

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Talked to the vet tech when I picked him up. She said he was heavily infected and I need to trreat my dogs. I did that tonight and Lucky gaged it all up so I need to get another dose for him.

It's been raining all night so haven't done anything in the yard except clean up the evening poop.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17