Curcumin For Cancer Or Other Tumors?

Guest tinams8

Guest tinams8

My dog is a vizsla, not a greyhound, but I hope this is on topic because all dogs are susceptible to cancer and tumors.

Sienna has a history of mast cell cancer and fibrosarcoma, beginning at age 2. Both have been in remission for about 7 years, with the possible exception of some suspicious, slow-growing lumps that I chose not to biopsy. After every surgery she seems to sprout a new set of lumps. Mast cell tumor removal is very invasive because of how much has to be removed to get clean margins. She is almost 10 and it's to the point where I do not want to do anymore surgeries. I don't feel like it is fair to her.

Recently a new set of lumps appeared on her side near a suspicious lump that has been on her ribcage for two years. (I couldn't bear to have a piece of her ribcage removed to get that off.) This made me suspicious that it was a mast cell tumor, because they can crop up in clusters. So I looked into alternatives to surgery and one of the things I found was curcumin, a component of the spice tumeric. It is used for cancer in people as well as dogs. It is supposed to be completely harmless, so I figured it was worth a shot. My vet agreed. There is a ton of info online. There are many other uses for it as well.

From Wikipedia: (not because it's the most reputable, it's just concise!)

...as of 2008, numerous clinical trials in humans were underway, studying the effect of curcumin on numerous diseases including multiple myeloma, pancreatic cancer, myelodysplastic syndromes, colon cancer, psoriasis, and Alzheimer's disease.[8]

In vitro and animal studies have suggested that curcumin may have antitumor,[9][10] antioxidant, antiarthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic[11], and anti-inflammatory properties.[12] Anti-inflammatory properties may be due to inhibition of eicosanoid biosynthesis.[13] In addition it may be effective in treating malaria, prevention of cervical cancer, and may interfere with the replication of the HIV virus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin

Anyway, I wanted to share this because I think it is helping. She has been on it a month. The tumor on her ribs has been slowly growing for two years, now it is smaller. The new tumors nearby seem to be gone. I'm afraid to even say it out loud but I think it is working. :goodluck

If you google "curcumin canine osteosarcoma" (because there are trials underway for human osteo which will come up first)there are many sources of info.

Has anyone here tried it or know anything about it? A better source of info besides wiki would be great if anyone has one to share.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'll see if I can get some info from my mom.

She helps out with Frenchie rescue and there is a member that had a Frenchie with mast cell tumors and she was using the curcumin.

From what I recall it seemed to be working and I do know that the dog was living much longer and more comfortably then most vets expected.

Guest boondog

Dr. Couto mentioned this during the veterinary conference at OSU. He said that they are looking into it. I'm so happy to hear it's helping your girl. I just love Vizslas.

Dr. Couto mentioned this during the veterinary conference at OSU.

He's also mentioned Palladia for mast cell treatment. Maybe worth looking into?

That's great the the curcumin seems to be working!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Curcurmin is from turmeric; The Lisa works in a protein crystallography lab. One of the grad students there has a relative in a developing country that was sent home to die after being diagnosed with bone cancer. The family reportedly fed him large quantities of honey + turmeric, and the tumor supposedly disappeared. The doctors were a bit taken back when he came into the hospital several months later- quite alive, and with no sign of the osteosarcoma.

I don't know why amputation wasn't considered. The story may be apocryphal. I don't have any other details.

Anyway- honey + turmeric is a very old combination that has been used for a number of maladies. The only caveat would be that I doubt there have been studies on how toxic turmeric may be to dogs, particularly when fed in large quantities. Although it seems to be safe for human consumption even in relatively large amounts, sometimes stuff that's okay for humans may not be so for dogs- avocados, chocolate, onions, etc.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest tinams8

He's also mentioned Palladia for mast cell treatment. Maybe worth looking into?

I need to talk to the vet about Palladia, it does look promising! There is a catch with my dog though, because her tumors are not confirmed mast cell. (or fibro, for that matter.) When you aspirate a mast cell tumor, it can cause a dangerous reaction in the dog. Especially if the tumor is large. So since she has a history, we don't aspirate anymore. I definitely want to ask him about it though. I'm so glad they are coming out with better meds.

Here is what I found for dosage info for anyone considering curcumin: Recommended dosage of curcumin for treatment of cancer is 80 mg/kg/day (36 mg/lb/day), or 400 mg twice a day for a 25 lb dog., administered orally (the highest recommended dosage is 120 mg/kg/day, or 55 mg/lb/day, to avoid toxicity).

There has been toxicity testing in dogs and other mammals as a food additive, and in the study I read, there was no effect on dogs at the highest dose administered, which was 500 mg/kg. I looked into it really extensively, I am an overprotective mother. :rolleyes: