Green Reflection In Eye

Guest JJGrey

Guest JJGrey

I just rescued a grey and am not sure if I'm being a nervous new mom or have a genuine concern. My hound's right eye has a green shine to it when you catch it in certian light but the other eye does not. It's not cloudy; it's more of a reflection. Both eyes look normal and brown up close. You can only see this green "shine" when the light catches it. Could it possibly be cataracts? He's only 2.5 but I'm wondering if this is something I should take him to the vet for right away. He doesn't seem to have any problems seeing. I really appreciate any help and advice anyone can provide.

Guest BillF

I just rescued a grey and am not sure if I'm being a nervous new mom or have a genuine concern. My hound's right eye has a green shine to it when you catch it in certian light but the other eye does not. It's not cloudy; it's more of a reflection. Both eyes look normal and brown up close. You can only see this green "shine" when the light catches it. Could it possibly be cataracts? He's only 2.5 but I'm wondering if this is something I should take him to the vet for right away. He doesn't seem to have any problems seeing. I really appreciate any help and advice anyone can provide.

In a flash photo a dog's eyes can "glow" green, just like red-eye in a human photo. Do you think that's what you saw?

Bill

Guest Liz_in_PA

Take a photo of each eye. See if the difference is there. Randomly, I remember there's some freaky thing in humans where you can see a problem with the eye in photos.

Guest JJGrey

In a flash photo a dog's eyes can "glow" green, just like red-eye in a human photo. Do you think that's what you saw?

Bill

Thanks for the response. That is what it looks like but I can see it without taking a picture. That's why I'm worried that it's cataracts

Take a photo of each eye. See if the difference is there. Randomly, I remember there's some freaky thing in humans where you can see a problem with the eye in photos.

Thanks, I'll try it. Any idea what I'm supposed to be looking for or just differences in the eyes?

Guest mcsheltie

Green reflection is not abnormal. You will see red & green in the same dog. Cataracts appear as white cloudy spots on the lens. Green reflection is not a precursor of cataracts.

Guest barkdogs

Green is normal--dogs, cats and many other species have a coating on the retina called the "tapeta lucidum." It catches incoming light and reflects back. It may have something to do with helping to see in low light. Actually, if only one eye has it, it may indicate a problem--or a blindness-- in the non-reflective eye. Next time you go to your vet, maybe ask her/him to examine the eyes. Does he show any signs of irritation? You could mask the reflective eye and check to see if he seems to see out of the non-reflective eye--then mask the other one to see if his reactions are similar on both sides.

Depending on how the light hits my dogs eyes, they look just like they can in photos with flash. So I'd be less inclined to worry about it, unless you see it all the time, regardless of lighting. But by all means, feel free to ask your vet. My vet loves my "peace of mind" questions. :)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest KennelMom

green reflection is not necessarily abnormal. I get it all the time with our dogs.

I have a greyhound with cataracts in one eye and that eye is turning white/milky and doesn't reflect light in pictures. In any case, I doubt what you are seeing is cataracts.

We had a foster through here not too long ago that presented with weirdness in one eye- it just wasn't quite right. So, with the approval of the adoption group, I took him into the vet, and- yeppers, young dog with ~70% loss from a cataract. To be fair, I had suspected as much because he whacked his head into a leg and a door frame once each when he turned to the affected side. Entirely correctable, but I wouldn't want to guess at the price.

Cute dog, too- about 2-1/2. You didn't adopt him in Phoenix, did you?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest EmilyandSioux

It can be retinal atrophy. I have one dog with it and my daughter has a non grey that has it. It can be due to old age, head trauma or nothing. You do need to get it checked though.

Guest summernights

I work in a specialty ophthalmology clinic, and the doctors have let me look through the slit lamp at (consenting) patients before. The cataracts that I've seen have shown up as milky blue/white.

I had a cat with uveitis, primarily in one eye (we think from feline herpes), and that eye always had a greenish-yellow reflection in it. When he had a flareup, his normally green iris would turn a bloody orange color.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it can't hurt to have a vet take a peek. Most vets have an ophthalmoscope, which would allow them to check for cataracts.

Guest JJGrey

We had a foster through here not too long ago that presented with weirdness in one eye- it just wasn't quite right. So, with the approval of the adoption group, I took him into the vet, and- yeppers, young dog with ~70% loss from a cataract. To be fair, I had suspected as much because he whacked his head into a leg and a door frame once each when he turned to the affected side. Entirely correctable, but I wouldn't want to guess at the price.

Cute dog, too- about 2-1/2. You didn't adopt him in Phoenix, did you?

Thanks for the response. He's out of Florida. What did the eye that wasn't quite right look like?

Thanks for the response. He's out of Florida. What did the eye that wasn't quite right look like?

Kind of a white-green flash that the other eye didn't have. It was similar but different from the "usual" green reflective glare the eyes give. That and the whole bumping into things on one side.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest bluefawn

Penny's eyes have this greenish color in bright light. I thought it was because of her age (12), but she has no visual impairment at all. smile.gif

I remember what it was- it was that the whole cornea reflected- so the reflection seemed to be "in front" of what was normally seen, and the green-ish flash was larger in diameter than a normal eye.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The angle at which you see the light reflected back from the tapetum is very limited and if you move from side to side and up and down slightly then you may see the brightness in each eye vary. However you may have had one of those lucky intuitive wakeup calls that should cause you to make an appointment for the dog with your veterinary surgeon. Indeed it has been noticed before that sinister changes to the retina have been detected by differential reflection, so well done for noticing it. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious at all, maybe changes to the Vitreous (see link) http://web.mac.com/jimbosefatboy/Animal_Eye_Consultants_of_Minnesota/Vitreous_Degeneration_Study.html . Greys sometimes get to lose their their peripheral vision possibly as a result of over heathing (some have their heads dunked in a bucket of water after a race. Anyway, I hope it;s nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.

Guest Zaneyboy

Hi all....I just wanted to say that my grey started to develop a cloudiness in both eyes...starting from the outside corner, but along with the cloudiness, first was some redness...did not seem to bother him, but bugged me....so I took him to a doggy "eye doctor" and she diagnosed him with Pannus...chronic eye condition which requires medication...daily, and the avoidance of sunlight. I would suggest with any eye concerns, you have your vet check it out...if nothing else, just to know :)

Shell and mister happy grey Zane