Chattering Teeth

Guest creedsmom

Guest creedsmom

Creed is 10 yrs old. He gets dental cleanings yearly (awake cleanings-he is not put under and he is given a shot to keep him calm and I'm there to make him feel secure during the procedure) and I do brush his teeth most of the time. Recently his teeth have been chattering for no apparent reason. He isn't cold, he eats just fine but then I do notice that his teeth are chattering away at different times during the day. The chattering lasts just a minutes or two and then it might not happen again til the next day or two. I'm not sure if this is anything I should be worrying about or if all greyhounds do this. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this situation. thanks.

Guest benspop

I'm no expert in greyhounds (only had mine 5 months now) but he does this too. It seems to be a sign of excitement. He'll chatter a little (or his muzzle will twitch or vibrate) when he's excited about food, about seeing me, when he sees another dog he wants to greet and interact with, etc. I met another greyhound owner walking him and they said their dog does the same thing. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Seems to be a cute little sign of nervous excitement. I think.

:welcome

We have a chatterer too - Bumper! He turned 5 Saturday and has just started chattering when he gets excited. I wondered the same thing - cold? No. Dreaming? Maybe. Pent up energy that he doesn't know what to do with? Probably. Unless you are seeing other signs, hopefully there is nothing to worry about. Someone here has likely faced the same question with a senior.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Greyhounds will chatter their teeth when they are excited and also when they are cold. The older they get, the easier it is for them to get cold. Does it seem to happen when you just come home or something? Because that would just mean he's excited to see you :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

We have a chatterer too! Beau chatters like a wild man when he is either stressed or excited... usually when he is waiting for something.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Rogersmom

Roger is almost 15 months old. He has just recently started to chatter his teeth. I was told that meant he was happy. He does it when someone comes to the house. I thought it meant he was happy to see the guest or person arriving home. I would rather have him chatter than jumping up and mouthing my guests.

Give Creed a little treat (maybe a few pieces of his kibble?) and pet him to calm him down. If the chattering resumes right away, assume he's cold. If he stops chattering once he's calm, then you can assume it's just excitement.

My first grey was a champion tooth-chatterer. At Meet and Greets, she'd start the tooth-chattering, and people would say, "Poor baby, she's cold." (This is Georgia, folks. It was 70+ outside.) Or "She's scared. Can I give her a treat?" I'd let them give her a little treat. Fifteen seconds later, new sucker walks up to the table, and Oreo's teeth are chattering like castanets...

So don't get carried away with "treating" Creed when his teeth are chattering. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest scfilby

Chattering is common in greys. Mickey started chattering at about 6 years. Cy came to us as a chatterer. They both seem to do it when they are feeling affectionate and want to snuggle..

Maybe what we think is affection is just their attempt to get warm.. :lol Who knows what goes through those pointy heads.. :dunno

Yup, usually excitement. Here's Marcus - a champion chatterer -

. Every now and then one of our current hounds will do it, and one of the greys we're sitting right now does it rather frequently, and even manages to do so with her tongue hanging out of the side of her mouth.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Paul is a chatterer when he gets excited. Take out the leashes, reach for a cookie, tell him you love him. He is so cute. Now that he has only nine teeth, he is almost a silent chatterer. :rolleyes:

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Jamey and Tosca chatter all the time. Most of the time it's excitement. Jamey comes to chatter right in our face if he is cold!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Usually happiness or excitement but can be cold or pain as well. Just to be on the safe side might want to give his teeth/mouth a good check to make sure nothing is bothering him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dwolfe711

We've had several chatterers - right now our old gal Allie usually chatters when she's watching us prepare her breakfast and dinner. Apollo chatters even with only three canines!! He chatters mostly at meal time but they will both also chatter when they get excited - like at meal time - ;)

It's definitely not a bad thing!!

Donna

Heidi started chattering after about 6 months with us. It's absolutely adorable. She chatters when we have any food, ask her if she wants to go for a ride, or just generally when she is excited. I was glad to have read about it here before I saw it for the first time. I probably would have run to the vet if I didn't know it was excitement.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013